With restrictions easing across the country, many of us will be wanting to look and feel our best as we head away to our holiday rentals, beach days and summer outdoor gatherings.
Professional makeup artist and beauty expert Michelle Devereux knows exactly what skin needs to achieve that healthy fresh faced look with over 25 years of experience working on faces for glossy magazine
fashion shoots and high profile events right around the world. Michelle, who is the founder of The Edit Cosmetics, shares her top tips for healthy summer skin below.
- When the weather is exceptionally hot or you have a big day event, keep your skincare (apart from oils) in the fridge the night before. When applying your skin products the next morning they’ll aid to cool and soothe your skin.
- I recommend a super light cleanse in the morning or simply use a clean face cloth and cold fresh water. Follow with a morning antioxidant boost serum like The Edit Miracle Worker C- Serum (RRP $140.00) providing a potent mix of Vitamin C, AHA, Hyaluronic and Collagen. Seal with a protective layer of hydrating or mattifying moisturiser depending on your skins needs, followed by your favourite SPF.
- If you’re planning on wearing a full face make up look during the day, a mattifying primer is your summer best friend, and will aid to trap any unwanted oil from seeping through your foundation.
- Unless you have problem skin, a lighter texture oil-free foundation is better in hot weather, it will look more natural and is less likely to go patchy or “break up” in the heat. Cream products such as highlighters, blush and contours are also better as they are buffed in and sit more naturally on the skin. They can be set with a light application of translucent powder if necessary, but look great left au-naturel.
- Following a couple of coats of your favourite waterproof mascara, a cold setting lotion such as Pixi Makeup Fixing Mist with rose water and green tea is ideal to set makeup and keep on hand for a refreshing spritz throughout the day.
- After a day at the beach or being outdoors your skin is more environmentally stressed so needs extra hydration and nourishment at night to balance out the daily exposure. Start with a thorough cleanse to help dissolve and remove any sunscreen and makeup build up before applying a good night oil such as The Edit Midnight Magic Luxury Night Oil (RRP $145.00), which is packed with healing, nourishing and replenishing plant oils to deeply penetrate skin at night and aid in repair.
- Sticking to a consistent routine morning and night will aid skin to stay in balance which equals calm, settled, happy skin that’s not too oily or too dry. Keep up hydration levels throughout summer and drink plenty of water regularly.The Edit Cosmetics is available online at theeditcosmetics.co.nz